Baltimore Monthly (Historic)
Baltimore Monthly Meeting was the successor of the original Patapsco Meeting which had been established in 1679 under Cliffs Monthly Meeting. In 1739 it came under the care of Gunpwder Monthly Meeting. In 1781, when it moved to a new location at the southeast corner of Aisquith and Fayette streets in Baltimore City, it became known as Baltimore Meeting, as well as Old Town Meeting. It became a Preparative Meeting by 1776, and in 1792, became a Monthly Meeting and was united with Elk Ridge Preparative.
In 1807, Baltimore Monthly was divided into two separate meetings- Western District held at Aisquith Street and Western District in the new meetinghouse on Lombard (between Howard and Eutaw streets). About 1819, the Eastern District portion of the Baltimore Monthly Meeting was subordinated to a preparative meeting under the Western District at Lombard Street. Both meetinghouses were retained by the Hicksite branch at the time of the Great Separation.
In 1864, the meeting became known as Baltimore Monthly Meeting. In 1887 the Lombard street meetonghouse was sold as the meeting prepared to move to its new meetinghouse at Park Avenue and Laurens Street, whihc opened in May 1889. In 1952, the meeting moved to Stony Run on North Charles Street.
Writing about 1870, Levi Brown says of Baltimore Monthly:
Established tenth of sixth month, 1807. Is held fifth day after first second day, at eleven o'clock. Composed of Eastern District (Aisquith Street), Western District (Lombard Street ), Diamond Ridge, York, and Mount Washington. Indulged first days. Correspondent: Henry T. Gover, Baltimore