Established in 1681, name changed in 1711 to Chester Monthly.
From WPA Inventory:
Established in 1681 as Upland Monthly Meeting by Burlington Monthly Meeting of New Jersey, after having functioned as a meeting for worship from 1675. The first monthly meeting of Friends at Chester to be found on record, was held on January 10, 1681 at the house of Robert Wade and consisted of the Friends of CHichester and Upland or Chester. Robert Wade cmae with John Fenwicks to Salem, New Jersey in 1675, but soon crossed the Delaware and occupied the "Essex House" on the south side of Chester Creek called Wade's Landing. Here Friends' meetings were held and here also William Penn took lodgings on his arrival. The first Assembly of Pennsylvania held its session here inthe year 1682. In 1711 the name of the meeting was changed from Upland Monthly Meeting to Chester Monthly Meeting. Until 1700 meetings were held in the homes of Friends; from 1700-1722, with a few exceptions, at the Providence Meetinghouse. Chester Monthly meeting was divided in 1722 and the Goshen Monthly Meeting was set up from the division. After the Separation from Chester Monthly meeting (Hicksite) in 1827, this meeting used the meetinghouse of the Springfield Preparative meeting until 1835 and them until 1876, alternately at the Middletown Preparative meetinghouse and the Springfield Preparative meetinghouse. The present meetinghouse was erected in 1875, and the first meeting was held October 30, 1876...
The meetinghouse referred to above is the modern day Media meetinghouse. In 1952, the meeting became a United Meeting and in 1955 was attached to the newly formed Chester Quarterly. At this point, its name was changed to Media Monthly Meeting.
After the Great Separation, the Hicksite portion continued to meet in the Providence Preparative meetinghouse that had been retained. Chester Monthly (Hicksite) was laid down in 1934 and Chester Preparative meeting ultimately became the Monthly meeting and would later become the modern day Chester Monthly Meeting.
In 1952, the Orthodox Chester Monthly meeting became a United meeting affiliated with both Concord Quarterly meetings, and in 1955 was transferred to the newly formed Chester Quarterly Meeting. Its name was changed at that time to Media Monthly Meeting. Until 186, the meeting met in the meetighouses of either Springfield or Middletown Preparative meetings. After 1876, the meeting's home was the newly erected buiding on Third Street in Media.
After the Great Separation, the Hicksite branch retained the Market street meetinghouse in Chester, but stopped using it in 1926, having grown closer to the Orthodox members and both branches were sharing the use of the 24th and Chestnut street meetinghouse that the Orthodox branch had established. In 1934, Chester Monthly (Hicksite) split into two meetings - Chester Monthly and Providence Monthly, with the originals being laid down. At that point, the preparative meeting became the new Chester Monthly meeting.
At the time of the Great Separation, the HIcksite branch retained the original meetinghouse on Market Street in Chester and, for a while, the Orthodox members met in the homes of the members. In 1829, a lot was purchased at 24th and Chestnut and a meetinghouse and burial ground established. In 1948, the meeting became 24th Street Monthly Meeting and immediately merged with the recently created Chester Monthly Meeting to become a united meeting. When the two sides rejoined, they met at the 24th street location.
Set up in 1706 by Chester Monthly meeting, after having been an Indulged meeting under Radnor Monthly since 1696.. About the time that the original Chester Quarter was divided, this meeting was transferred to Goshen Monthly Meeting. At the time of the Separation the Hicksites retained the meetinghouse and its grounds and the Orthodox members were transferred to the Orthodox Concord Monthly meeting and the Orthodox preparative meeting was laid down. The members were then transferred to Illistown Preparative (Orthodox).