Abington Quarterly had originally been set up in 1786 by a division of Philadelphia Quarterly. At the tiemof the Separation, there were five Montly Meetings belonging to the Quarter: Abington, Gwyneedd, Horsham, Richland and Green Street (Green Street having severed its connection to the Philadelphia Quarterly during the Separation process). Shortly after the creation of the Hiscsite yearly meeting, Byberry meeting asked to be set up as a monthly meeting under Abington. While the Green Street meeting was transferred to the Hicksite Philadelphia Quarter once it was set up, the Abington Quarterly would later have two addition monthly meetings added to it: Norristown and Plymouth.
As the majority of the membership was Hicksite in belief, they retained the original meetinghouse and grounds at the corner of Meetinghouse Lane and Greenwood Avenue in Jenkintown.
The original meetinghouse and grounds were retained by the Hicksite branch and was the home of both the Monthly meeting and the Byberry Preparative meeting.
The Meetinghouse and grounds on Dekalb Pike were retained by the Hicksites after the Separation. In 1936, the monthly meeting was dissolved and its preparative meetings, Gwynedd and Plymouth were both elevated to monthly meetings.
Plymouth Monthly meeting was established out of Plymouth Preparative by Abington Quarterly in 1936. when the original monthly meeting was dissolved and its preparative meetings elevated. In 1953, the Plymouth Monthly Meeting affiliated with both branches of the Abington Quarterly, making it a United Meeting and the forerunner of the current Plymouth Monthly Meeting.