Monoquesy [Moncacy] Meeting (historic)
In 1726, the Friends in the Monocacy Valley near modern day Buckeystown in Frederick County were granted permission by New Garden Monthly to have a meeting for worship settled among them. In the early days of the meeting, it was held in the home of Josiah Ballenger When the Hopewell Monthly Meeting was started in 1734, Monquesy became a part of that meeting. When the Hopewell Monthly Meeting was established in 1744, Monoquesy was joined to it.
It seems that the meeting was beset with ongoing problems, as seen from this excerpt from London Grove's minutes in 1764:
"2nd, We also had an opportunity with most of the Friends of Monquesy at their meeting place, treated with them in a degree of Love & Tenderness, and having examined into the Care & Proceedings of the Mo. Meeting on their account, we approved thereto; and as the refreshed laborers of Love, that have been extended towards them, have not had the desired effect, to excite to Faithfulness in divers respects; & particularly in attending thier meetings for worship and Discpline; under consideration thereof and the situation we found them in; are unanimous of the judgement, they cannot while in their present relapsed state hold a meeting for worship to the Reputation of Truth."1
Several years later, members of the Monoquesy group took it upon themselves to re-start their meeting, with predictable results:
MONOQUESY: On the 28th of 4th month 1759 Monoquesy Meeting house burnt down. All sessions of Fairfax Monthly Meeting were thereafter held at Fairfax Meeting house; on 29th of 9th month 1759 it was reported tht Monoquesy Meeting House had been rebuilt; on 29th of 11th month 1760 Monoquesy Friends refused to meet in the new meeting house; on 30th of 1st month 1762 Monoquesy Preparative Meeting was laid down although meetings for Worship were continued until 28th of 4th month 1764 when Monoquesy Meeting was abandoned; on 30th of 8th month 1766 it was reported that Monoquesy Meeting house and burying ground was "laid waste"; on 27th of 9th month 1766 Monoquesy Friends set up a new meeting for themselves in violation of discipline, which caused much concern for a long time, but the meeting was again allowed to be held 31st of 10th month 1772; on the 26th of 8th month 1775 Monoquesy Meeting was consolidated with Pipe Creek Monthly Meeting. A new meeting at Monoquesy was granted 22nd of 3rd month 1783 and the meeting house was furnished with a youth's gallery.2
Any remaining sign of the meeting is long gone, and the property is private.