Carrollton is a small community located along Bethel Road off of Route 140 and is marked easily today by the large Union Bethal Church at the intersection of Bethel and Patapsco roads. The congregation of Bethel Church of God, Carrollton, was formed in 1849 and from 1856 to 1865 met in a small schoolhouse. The current church was established in 1865 and the current church building was constructed in 1921.
Carrollton's postmaster in 1856 was George D. Rhodes and for his work as postmaster was compensated annually with $12.17.
Carrollton also had a militia in place in the middle part of the 1800's. In 1858, a troop of Horse, called the Carroll Rangers was founded at Carrollton.
Carrollton is one of those areas that was dominated during its early days by a strong church presence and it remains so to this day.