The area of Bachman Mills lies along Bachman Valley Road where it crosses over the Big Pipe Creek, in an area dominated by large farms on rolling hills. There was a mill in this area as early as 1794, though at that point it was named Bowers Mill and was only renamed Bachman Mills later. Bachman Mills also had its own militia unit, founded in 1838 and named the Washington Blues. Like many of these small towns and named areas that no longer seem to have commerce, Bachman Mills was named for the mill that once was the center of the community, even long after the mill itself stops functioning. The roads named after these old mills are all over the county, reminding us constantly of the old mills and their importance to the development of the county.